Gdansk, Pomerania, Poland — Central Europe
Żura Wielki - Brama Portowa/The Great Crane Gateway to the Port
Zespół Dwóch Dźwigów Fortyfikacja Obronna/The Stronghold of Two Cranes
Zespół dwóch dźwigów fortyfikacja obronna pierwsza zapisana wzmianka o zurawiu w porcie nad motlawa zachowala sie z 136r obecna sylwetka bramy ul szerokie) pochodzi z 1444 r. i jest objeta dwiema, poteżnymi basztami oraz obu arami w drewnianym wysiegniku od strony rzeki motlawy-wysokiego na 30 miniskiego na 11m zuraw peenie funkcje glownego dzwigu w porcie gdanskim od xv - xvii w urzadzenia dzwigowe tworzyly dwa zespoly policzonych koł dzwtgi uruchamiali pracownicy portovi. postepujacy po stopniach drewnianych umocowan wewnetrzne strony obwodu kol na obracaiacy sie walec liczący pare kol, nantiala se lina konopna podnoszaca na umocowanym haku eadunek ze statku, badź stawiajaca maszty na jednostkach morskich i wtsanyo. pdk, zespol kól moge podniesc ciežar o wadze do 2000 kg. w xix wieku wprowadzono zamiast lin eancuch z na dźwigu wyższym / zobacz zawieszone na ścianach w pezeswicie bramy żurawia·był to nawiekszy zespół dzwoow rokrownch w europie xv-xvii stulecia żuraw zniszczony w czasie tr wolny swiatowej 1945 r -62 1 stal
The Great Crane - Gateway To The Port
The Stronghold of Two Cranes
The first written mention of the crane in the port of Gdansk, originates from 1363.
The present outline of the crane gate in Ul Szeroka is from 1444 and includes two powerful towers as well as two cranes in wooden jib on the side of the Motlawa one at a height of 30 m. and the other at 11 m.
The crane was the main one in the XV-XVIII century port of Gdansk. The actual lifting appliance consisted of two sets of connected wheels, the whole being set in motion by men treading on the wooden steps inside the circumference of the wheels whilst the roller connecting the wheels was turning. A help rope wound round it thus either raising cargo from ships with the aid of a hook or setting mast on sea-going Vistula ships. One set of wheels could lift a load weighing up to 2000 kg. In XIX century, a block and chain were introduced in place of the ropes. On the upper crane/see the wall
Badly damaged during World War II in 1945. The crane was rebuild in 1955-62 and became the seat of the present day Central Maritime Museum. It is one of the few reconstructed relics of mediaeval port technology in Europe.
A bronze figure of the crane which showed sailors the direction of the wind until XIX century was reconstructed and returned to the summit of the crane roof in 1993 and ropes XV-XVIII century.
The publication – Zuraw Gdanski – The Gdansk Crane/ can be attained at the ticket office in the museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1444.
Location. 54° 21.048′ N, 18° 39.415′ E. Marker is in Gdansk, Pomorskie (Pomerania). Marker is on Szeroka. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Szeroka 64/66, Gdansk, Pomorskie 80-835, Poland. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 23 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Muzeum Sopotu (approx. 11.2 kilometers away); Willa Ernsta Claaszna (approx. 11.2 kilometers away); Dworzec Morski/Maritime Station (approx. 21.5 kilometers away).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2019, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 112 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 27, 2019, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. 2. submitted on July 28, 2019, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. 3, 4. submitted on May 11, 2020, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Improvements in the Polish text. • Correction of the location's coordinates and street address. • Can you help?