Mechanicsburg in Champaign County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Second Baptist Church
This site has long served the religious, education, and public interests of the residents of Mechanicsburg. A local Methodist congregation built its first church here in 1820, and the townspeople also used the structure as its village school. The Methodists replaced their original structure in 1837, using brick as the main building material. As the Methodist congregation grew, however, it was determined that a larger, more permanent structure was needed. As a result, the Mechanicsburg First Methodist Church was built here in 1858, and it served the congregation until 1894 when an African American based Second Baptist congregation purchased the building at a cost of $2,850. Besides religion and education, the site was also used as Mechanicsburg's first cemetery. That cemetery lasted until the Maple Grove Cemetery was established and burials at this site were relocated there.
Erected 2005 by Champaign County Preservation Alliance, Champaign County Bicentennial Historical Marker Committee, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 19-11.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1820.
Location. 40° 4.352′ N, 83° 33.301′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 43 East Sandusky Street, Mechanicsburg OH 43044, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Addison White (within shouting distance of this marker); W.W. I Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Roy Hopkins (about 400 feet away); Mechanicsburg United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Mechanicsburg (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mechanicsburg Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Maple Grove Spanish American War Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Maple Grove World War Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mechanicsburg.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The Methodist Churces of Mechanicsburg
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,413 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 21, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.