Pearland in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Captain Wilhelm Zychlinski bought 5991 acres of land by a railroad siding switch at a station called Mark Belt. Shortly after completing his town plat, Zychlinski sold most of his holdings and disappeared, leaving his lawyer, J. W. O'Brian, to file the map of Pearland with the county Hall of Records on September 26, 1894.
In 1911, land developers Allison and Richey set up offices in the Suburban Gardens Hotel. To promote Pearland, the firm supported a music band and outfitted the Suburban Gardens baseball team. For nearly two generations the people of Pearland played baseball in Zychlinski Park. Old-timers have recalled long Sunday afternoons on the sidelines and overtime games illuminated by car headlights. During the depression era, baseball in the park was a popular escape. Only World War II stopped baseball in Zychlinski Park.
In 1946 a group of citizens signed a petition to allow the park to be used
Captain Witold Von Zychlinski (b. Poland, 1848), founder of Pearland, married Eveline T. Gates (b. Baltimore, MD, 1856) in Vienna, Austria, 1871, and the couple had two children: William and Witold, Jr.
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11767.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 33.955′ N, 95° 17.025′ W. Marker is in Pearland, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is at the intersection of North Grand Boulevard and Zychlinski Drive, on the right when traveling north on North Grand Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2243 N Grand Blvd, Pearland TX 77581, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church of Pearland (within shouting distance of this marker); The 1937 Pearland High School (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Settler's Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Home and First Family (approx. 5.3 miles away); Fig Preserving Plant (approx. 5˝ miles away); Cecil and Frances Brown House (approx. 5˝ miles away); First Business (approx. 5.6 miles away); Friendswood Postal Service (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pearland.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 30, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.