Escanaba in Delta County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Sand Point Lighthouse / Squaw Point Boathouse
Sand Point Lighthouse
From 1868 to 1939 the Sand Point Lighthouse warned mariners of the spit of land extending into Little Bay de Noc at the entrance to Escanaba Harbor. The U.S. Congress authorized construction of the lighthouse in 1864, shortly after the first railroad began hauling iron ore from the mines to docks at Escanaba. The newly appointed keeper, John Terry, died just before the opening of the light, so his wife, Mary, lit the lamp for the first time on May 13, 1868. Mary Terry served as keeper until March 1886 when she died in a mysterious fire at the lighthouse. In 1939 the new crib light began operating in the harbor. From 1985 to 1990 the Delta County Historical Society restored the lighthouse and tower.
Squaw Point Boathouse
This boathouse was built at the Squaw Point Lighthouse, on the eastern shore of Little Bay de Noc, in 1897. When Squaw Point was furnished with an acetylene lantern in 1914, that lighthouse was left unmanned, and the boathouse and a motorboat were moved to Sand Point. The Sand Point keeper was given the responsibility of tending the new "Sunvalve" torch at Squaw Point,
Erected 2007 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2193.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 45° 44.682′ N, 87° 2.673′ W. Marker is in Escanaba, Michigan, in Delta County. Marker is at the intersection of Ludington Street and Water Plant Road, on the right when traveling north on Ludington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16 Water Plant Road, Escanaba MI 49829, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fishing the Bays de Noc (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Port - Early Years (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Port - Today (approx. 0.2 miles away); Little Bay de Noc (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Peninsula Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Ore Pellet (approx. 0.2 miles away); Iron Ore Centennial Before the Settlers (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Escanaba.
Also see . . .
1. Sand Point Lighthouse. Information on the Delta County Historical Society website. (Submitted on July 30, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
2. Sand Point Light. Wikipedia article (Submitted on July 30, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
3. Mary Terry, Keeper of the Sand Point Lighthouse 1868 - 1886. Information about Mary Terry on the Exploring the North website. (Submitted on July 30, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Sand Point Lighthouse / Squaw Point Boathouse.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 30, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.