Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alum Creek in Kanawha County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Alum Creek

 
 
Alum Creek Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 13, 2019
1. Alum Creek Marker
Inscription.  In 1881, the community of Rome was established at the forks of the Coal River. Named for local landowner Rome Pickens. Renamed Alum Creek after nearby stream on December 7, 1910. The stream was named for alum found along its banks. New post office opened at same time, Henry Ramsey first postmaster. Town celebrated its centennial in 2010.
 
Erected 2011 by West Virginia Archives and History.
 
Location. 38° 17.101′ N, 81° 47.229′ W. Marker is in Alum Creek, West Virginia, in Kanawha County. Marker is on Childress Road (West Virginia Route 214) 1.2 miles east of the Lincoln County line at the Coal River bridge (Route 214), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6408 Childress Rd, Alum Creek WV 25003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Forks of Coal Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Bangor Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); Birkett Davenport Fry (approx. 6.6 miles away); Indian Mound / Mounds-Earthworks
Alum Creek Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 13, 2019
2. Alum Creek Marker
(approx. 6.7 miles away); Morgan Kitchen Museum (approx. 6.9 miles away); West Virginia State University (approx. 6.9 miles away); George Washington (approx. 7 miles away); St. Albans Archeological Site (approx. 7.1 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia entry. Exerpt:
The town of Rome was founded at the junction of the Little and Big Coal rivers in the 1890s by the Childress family. Soon the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway built a line along the Coal River to transport coal from the coal fields in Boone and Logan counties into the hub in nearby town of St. Albans. The town grew and a town council was formed. The town officially changed its name to Alum Creek in 1910. A constable policed the town, although without a vehicle he relied on the generosity of locals to transport him from place to place. In 1922 a set of bridges were constructed across the Big and Little Coal rivers. It was also at approximately this time Union Carbide built Cliffside, a summer camp on the banks of the Coal River. The town flourished for the next half century with most of its residents working in either the mining industries or in chemicals.
(Submitted on August 2, 2019.) 
 
Categories. Political SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Alum Creek.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 66 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement