Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Camp Curtin Fire Company No. 13

 
 
Camp Curtin Fire Company No. 13 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 2, 2019
1. Camp Curtin Fire Company No. 13 Marker
Inscription.  The growth of Harrisburg's 10th Ward north of Maclay Street had, by the turn of the 20th Century, necessitated the formation of a new volunteer fire department. Prior to that time, the closest station was the Reily Hose Company, now the Pennsylvania National Fire Museum, at N. Fourth and Dauphin Streets. It was argued that this fire station was too far away to safely cover the northward urban growth rising from the land once occupied by Camp Curtin, the country's largest Civil War mustering and deployment facility. By 1906, the Camp Curtin Fire Company No. 13, named in honor of the former Camp, was incorporated but not immediately into the City's fire department. The City at first was not prepared to make an appropriation for the new fire company's support because of the view that there was a sufficient number of fire stations in the uptown area at that time. Further residential construction, however, reversed this position and the Company was recognized by the City, which in turn authorized funds in 1908 for the purchase of a lot containing a small blacksmith shop at Sixth and Ross Streets. This small frame building served as a temporary station
Camp Curtin Fire Company No. 13 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 2, 2019
2. Camp Curtin Fire Company No. 13 Marker
until 1910 when the present two-story Italianate-styled brick building, designed by Harrisburg architect Charles Howard Lloyd and complete with bell tower, was built. Replaced in 1980 by a new fire station located in the 1800 Bock of N. Sixth Street, the building was ultimately sold for adaptive reuse that to this day respects the original flavor and spirit of the building's history. Individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the Camp Curtin Fire Station stands as a tribute to the original Company's persistence in ensuring that public safety kept pace with the city's growth.
 
Erected by Historic Harrisburg Association for the City of Harrisburg.
 
Location. 40° 17.227′ N, 76° 53.624′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is on North 6th Street north of Schuykill Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2505 North 6th Street, Harrisburg PA 17110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Camp Curtin Memorial-Mitchell United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Camp Curtin (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Camp Curtin (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Ladies Of Harrisburg During The Civil War (approx. 0.4 miles
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
away); Dauphin County Civil War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Camp Curtin (approx. half a mile away); Italian Lake (approx. half a mile away); Zembo Shrine Temple (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Categories. ArchitectureCharity & Public WorkNotable BuildingsWar, US Civil
 

More. Search the internet for Camp Curtin Fire Company No. 13.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement