“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glen Rock in York County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

J.F. & H.O. Neuhaus

J. F. & H. O. Neuhaus Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), August 2, 2019
1. J. F. & H. O. Neuhaus Marker
It was in this area in 1891 that Benjamin F. Sheffer and Samuel K. Diehl formed a partnership to sell agriculture implements, buggies, wagons, corn shellers, etc. In 1892 they added a full line of hardware products. In 1898 Sheffer left and the business was continued by Diehl and William C. Hildebrand. In January 1901 Jacob F. Neuhaus purchased Diehl's interest and formed the Plano Hardware Company. In March 1901 Hildebrand sold his interests to J. F. Neuhaus.

In August 1901 H. Oscar Neuhaus entered the business and the partnership known as J. F. and H. O. Neuhaus was formed, selling everything from feed to plows to dynamite. In 1929 the store began selling John Deere tractors. Also in 1929 Clara Hartley married Jacob's son Claire, moved to Glen Rock, and went to work in the family business, which in 1952 became Neuhaus'es Inc.

In 1921 the original building was destroyed when the neighboring Read Machine Shop caught fire. The decision was made to rebuild with I. Reindollar of York being the contractor. The plans for the new building were prepared by local architect, Joseph Dise. Once again, the building was damaged
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
by fire in 1926. This rebuilding was done by local contractor M. L. McMillian.

The family-run business and name was sold on September 26, 1989. The Neuhaus firm served the community from this general location from its founding in 1901 until its closing on November 3, 1990.

In the fall of 1992 Glen Rock Borough bought the building for its own use, which included becoming the new home of Glen Rock's library. It was dedicated on June 7, 1997. Clara Neuhaus was Glen Rock's first librarian, serving twenty-six years. Now the Library is housed in the Neuhaus building where Clara worked for more than sixty years.

The old three story structure building in 1921 became a memory when that structure was demolished in the fall of 2001. The building now housing The Arthur Hufnagel Public Library of Glen Rock was built circa 1957.
Erected 2015 by Glen Rock Historic Preservation Society, PeoplesBank, Glen Rock American Legion, Borough of Glen Rock, and The Arthur Hufnagel Public Library of Glen Rock.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1901.
Location. 39° 47.628′ N, 76° 43.882′ W. Marker is in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania, in York County. Marker is on Main Street (
J. F. & H. O. Neuhaus Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), August 2, 2019
2. J. F. & H. O. Neuhaus Marker
Pennsylvania Route 216) east of Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 45 Main Street, Glen Rock PA 17327, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cold Spring Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Trains, Grains, and More Trains (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Creek and Rail (about 300 feet away); The Original Glen Rock Carol Singers (about 300 feet away); Item Building / Bixler's (about 400 feet away); From Sawmill to Wherley's (about 400 feet away); The First National Bank (about 400 feet away); Roland Forrest Seitz (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glen Rock.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 363 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024