Woodstock in Carleton County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
Carleton County Court House / Palais je Justice du comté de Carleton
689 Main Street / 689 rue Principale
The Court House was built in two phases twenty years apart. The left half, completed in 1889, was designed by architect J. G. Fletcher, to house the Records Office. The upper half, with the cornerstone laid on July 31, 1909, was planned by architect F. Neil Brodie in a matching style. This building became the county Court House, which signalled the move of all the county buildings to Woodstock, thus ending the town's long-standing feud with Upper Woodstock.
Le Palais de Justice fut construit en deux phases avec un intervalle de 20 ans. La moitié qui est à gauche, complétée en 1889, à été conçue par l'architecte J. G. Fletcher, pour abriter les documents du Palais de Justice. La moitié droite a été inaugurée en Juillet 1909 par l'architecte E Neil Brodie, fut crée selon le même concept architectural. Cet édifice est devenu le Palais de Justice du Comté, ce qui a declenché le déménagement de tous les édifices du comté vers Woodstock, et mit fin aux querelles interminables avec le Haut-woodstock.
Erected by New Brunswick's
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions.
Location. 46° 9.132′ N, 67° 34.374′ W. Marker is in Woodstock, New Brunswick, in Carleton County. Marker is on Main Street (Route 103) north of Maple Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, directly in front of the subject building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 689 Main Street, Woodstock, New Brunswick E7M 2E2, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 7.7cm Feldkanone (Field Cannon) / Canon de terrain (a few steps from this marker); Woodstock Baptist Church / Église Baptiste de Woodstock (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Luke's Anglican Church / Église anglicane St. Luke's (within shouting distance of this marker); Carleton County Gaol / Prison du Comté de Carleton (within shouting distance of this marker); L. P. Fisher Library/Bibliothèque L. P. Fisher (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); 3rd Field Artillery Regiment, RCA (about 120 meters away); Dr. Prescott Private Hospital / Hôpital privé Dr Prescott (about 150 meters away); Saint James United Church / Église unie Saint James (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodstock.
Also see . . . Carleton County Court House. Carleton County Courthouse in Woodstock is designated a Local Historic Place because its construction signified the end of a long feud between the “Creek Village” (present day Woodstock) and Upper Woodstock as each vied for Shire town status, for a prominent downtown office and for the landscape around the building. (Submitted on August 3, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 101 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 3, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.