Peytona in Boone County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Erected 1997 by Boone Boosters and West Virginia Division of Culture and History.
Location. 38° 8.207′ N, 81° 40.797′ W. Marker is in Peytona, West Virginia, in Boone County. Marker is on Daniel Boone Parkway (West Virginia Route 3) 0.1 miles west of Roundbottom Road (Local Route 119/21), on the right when traveling west. It is on the west end of the Route 3 bridge over the Big Coal River. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Peytona WV 25154, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Peytona (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Edward Kenna (approx. 0.4 miles away); Indian Camp (approx. 0.4 miles away); Nellis No. 3 Mine Explosion (approx. 3.6 miles away); Nellis / ARMCO Coal (approx. 3.6 miles away); Robert Hager (approx. 8.9 miles away); Madison (approx. 9 miles away); Boone County Courthouse (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Peytona.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry for John Peter Salling. Excerpt:
In 1742, Salling discovered coal in western Virginia, along the banks of the Coal River, near what is today Racine in Boone County, West Virginia. His companions were John Howard, Josiah Howard, John Poteet and Charles St. Clair. They were offered 10,000-acre land grants to explore the wilderness beyond Virginia. He is credited widely for having discovered the first reserves of coal ever found. That coal was later used in the first ever coal-generated power plant, developed by Thomas Edison, in 1882.(Submitted on August 4, 2019.)
Categories. • Exploration • Natural Resources •
More. Search the internet for Coal Discovered.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 103 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.