Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Northville in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Two Tracks in Town

Northville's Electric Streetcars

 
 
Two Tracks in Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 4, 2019
1. Two Tracks in Town Marker
Inscription.  
There were two electric streetcar lines into Northville
from Detroit, both built in 1899. One traveled on track through Farmington, along Eight Mile Road and down Griswold Street. The other came through Plymouth, up Northville Road and along a wood viaduct over Argo Millpond where the Main Street curve is now. Both stopped at an express office at the corner of Main Street and Griswold Street before traveling up Main Street to the intersection with Center Street. Passengers waiting at an office on Center Street boarded either of the two streetcars for travel in two directions out of town.

You Auto Know
The elecctric streetcars were about 34 feet long and could hold up to 54 passengers.
 
Erected by MotorCities National Heritage Area, National Park Service.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the MotorCities National Heritage Area marker series.
 
Location. 42° 25.87′ N, 83° 28.719′ W. Marker is in Northville, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection
Upper left image image. Click for full size.
Photo courtesy of the Northville Historical Society
2. Upper left image
Main Street in downtown Northville, looking east, about 1910. Early streetcars were painted bright yellow and green, later ones were dark red. The increased popularity of automobiles overlook the Northville streetcar lines, and they ceased operation in 1928.
of South Griswold Street and East Main Street, on the right when traveling north on South Griswold Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 410 East Main Street, Northville MI 48167, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Northville Valve Plant (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Taking Flight (about 400 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Northville (about 600 feet away); Roadside Refreshment (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mill Race Historical Village (approx. 0.2 miles away); Detroit Edison Company Building (approx. mile away); Phoenix Mill (approx. 2.8 miles away); Joshua Simmons Farm (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Northville.
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
Lower left image image. Click for full size.
Photo courtesy of the Northville Historical Society
3. Lower left image
View to the west over Argo Millpond to downtown Northville, about 1910. At the right, Main Street and the streetcar tracks turn up into town.
Middle image image. Click for full size.
Photo courtesy of the Northville Historical Society
4. Middle image
The streetcar from Plymouth on the wood viaduct crossing Argo Millpond. The Northville railroad station is in the background to the east.
Right image image. Click for full size.
Photo courtesy of the Northville Historical Society
5. Right image
The express office at the northeast corner of Griswold and Main, about 1910. At the right is the J.A. Dubuar Lumber Company building which was later replaced at its location by the Ford Valve Plant.
Two Tracks in Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 4, 2019
6. Two Tracks in Town Marker
Marker is at the location of the former express office. View looking toward the east.
 

More. Search the internet for Two Tracks in Town.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 72 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 4, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement