Saint John in Saint John County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
Prince William Streetscape / La Rue Prince William
This historic streetscape is distinguished by its rare concentration of homogeneous, primarily late 19th century architecture. Traditionally referred to as “Wall Street,” the area contains major public buildings, banks, hotels, insurance, shipping and legal offices, and the Seamen’s Institute and Mission. More than half of these structures were erected immediately after the Great Fire of 1877. The work of prominent architects of Scottish, American and Canadian origin, the buildings represent solid, dignified and sometimes flamboyant interpretations of contemporary styles and building technology.
Cette rue se distingue par une rare concentration de batiments inspirés de l’architecture de la fin du XIXe siècle. Traditionnellement surnomme ”Wall Street," ce secteur comprend des édifices publics, des banques, des hotels, des bureaux d’assurance, de transport maritime et d’avocats, ainsi que le Seamen’s Institute and Mission. Plus de la moitié des édifices ont été érigés après le ”grand feu" de 1877. Oeuvres d’architectes écossais, américains et canadiens
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Disasters • Man-Made Features. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list.
Location. 45° 16.282′ N, 66° 3.72′ W. Marker is in Saint John, New Brunswick, in Saint John County. Marker is at the intersection of Prince William Street and Princess Street, on the left when traveling north on Prince William Street. Marker is located along the sidewalk, near the northwest corner of the intersection, at the southeast corner of the building at this address. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 Prince William Street, Saint John, New Brunswick E2L 2B2, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Marine Compound Engine (within shouting distance of this marker); First Steam Fog Horn (within shouting distance of this marker); New Brunswick’s First School of Law (within shouting distance of this marker); West meets East / L'ouest et l'est se rencontrent Prince William Street - Before and After the 1877 Fire (about 150 meters away); The Troop Fleet in the Days of Sail (about 150 meters away); Scottish Strength (about 150 meters away); A Legacy of Tea / Du thé en héritage (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint John.
Also see . . . Prince William Walk. Prince William Street was the first streetscape in Canada to be designated by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada as being of national historic and architectural significance. So elaborate are some of the buildings and their detailing that it is easy to imagine the fierce competition among property owners, contractors and craftsmen to out-do one another in the grandness of their proud, new structures. Take in the imposing splendor of Corinthian columns, the whimsy of Queen Anne Revival, elaborate Italianate facades and curious stone carvings grimacing atop their cornice perches. (Submitted on August 5, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 77 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 4, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.