Near Fort Lawn in Chester County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Landsford / Landsford In The Revolution
Located about 4 mi. E., this ford, an early Indian crossing, was probably named for Thomas Land who received a nearby land grant from the Crown in 1775. Used by Patriot and British armies during the American Revolution. Later home of Wm. R. Davie, founder of University of N.C. The 1823 Landsford Canal bears witness to S.C.'s first great period of public works.
Thomas Sumter, William R. Davie, and Andrew Jackson all camped or quartered near here during up-country skirmishes after the fall of Charleston. The British General Cornwallis crossed here in Oct. 1780, on his way to Winnsborough after his plans to advance into N.C. were frustrated by Ferguson's defeat at King's Mountain.
Erected 1975 by Chester County Historical Society. (Marker Number 12-5.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, US Revolutionary • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 34° 47.646′ N, 80° 55.236′ W. Marker is near Fort Lawn, South Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Lawn SC 29714, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Landsford Canal (approx. 2.1 miles away); Welcome to Landsford Canal State Park (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Dam (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Guardlock (approx. 2.3 miles away); Landsford Canal State Park Trails (approx. 2.3 miles away); A Nest with a Bird's-Eye View (approx. 2.4 miles away); Footbridge (approx. 2.4 miles away); Culvert (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Lawn.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 22, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,126 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on November 22, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.