Fonda in Montgomery County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Reformed Dutch Church of Caughnawaga
This boulder marks the site of Reformed Dutch Church of Caughnawaga, organized 1758, erected 1763. Generals Schuyler and Herkimer encamped their armies here January 18 1776.
Erected 1910 by Caughnawaga Chapter, D.A.R.
Location. 42° 57.345′ N, 74° 21.957′ W. Marker is in Fonda, New York, in Montgomery County. Marker is on East Main Street (New York State Route 5) east of Cemetery Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fonda NY 12068, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas Romeyn (here, next to this marker); Caughnawga Church (a few steps from this marker); Fonda Cemetery (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Douw Fonda (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fonda Tavern (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jail Limit Marker (approx. half Court House (approx. half a mile away); The 115th & 153rd Regiments (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fonda.
More about this marker. The first part of the the inscription is in Dutch. It is a Biblical quote and a suitable English translation is shown in the boldface below:
But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the ... shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, and to ... the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: ... nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares...
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for Reformed Dutch Church of Caughnawaga.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 50 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 6, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.