Near Forsan in Glasscock County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Commercial Oil Well in Howard County
The well on Clay's land hit pay dirt at 1,508 feet. Soon oil land speculators developed a great interest in this formerly "worthless" territory and other wildcatters flocked to the area.
As a result of efforts here, the Permian Basin—one of the richest oil repositories in the state—was developed. Since 1925 Howard County has produced more than 300 million barrels.
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 12671.)
Location. 32° 5.152′ N, 101° 23.511′ W. Marker is near Forsan, Texas, in Glasscock County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 87 and Farm to Market Road 821, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 87. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Big Spring TX 79720, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Route of Marcy’s Trail (approx. 10˝ miles away); W.T. ("Uncle Bud") Roberts Big Spring State Park on Route of Old Comanche War Trail (approx. 11.2 miles away); Big Spring School District (approx. 11.9 miles away); First Christian Church (approx. 12.1 miles away); First National Bank in Big Spring (approx. 12˝ miles away); Howard County (approx. 12˝ miles away); Settles Hotel (approx. 12˝ miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for First Commercial Oil Well in Howard County.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 7, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 6, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.