Clintonville in Clinton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
one of region’s largest
bloomery forges 1833-1890.
Used ore from Arnold Hill,
Palmer Hill and Winter Mine.
William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2019 • 537
Erected 2019 by Willilam G. Pomeroy Foundation. (Marker Number 537.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the William G. Pomeroy Foundation series list.
Location. 44° 27.988′ N, 73° 34.61′ W. Marker is in Clintonville, New York, in Clinton County. Marker is on New York State Route 9N 0.2 miles east of Smith Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Keeseville NY 12924, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harkness Church (approx. 4 miles away); Evergreen Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Thomas F. Conway (approx. 5.3 miles away); Underground Railroad (approx. 5.4 miles away); Keeseville, New York War MemorialMineral Spring (approx. 5½ miles away); Train Depot (approx. 5.7 miles away); What Is This Boat? (approx. 7 miles away).
Also see . . . Clintonville. The hamlet of Clintonville is located on the Ausable River, a short distance from Lake Champlain. A once-bustling industrial community, from 1833 to 1890 it was home to the Peru Steel & Iron Company. At its height the company possessed one of the region’s largest bloomery forges until the 1890s, when it ceased operation. Little evidence exists today of Clintonville’s former industry. (Submitted on August 13, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 13, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.