Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Glen Rose in Somervell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Somervell County

 
 
Somervell County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, August 10, 2019
1. Somervell County Marker
Inscription.  Named for Alexander Somervell (1796-1854), native of Maryland, veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto, Secretary of War under Texas President David G. Burnet; commanded the 1842 Somervell Expedition seeking to end Mexican invasions of Texas Republic.

Region was in old Brazos Land District. Home of Wacos and other Indians. First white settler was Charles Barnard, 1848. First cotton crop and first tannery were introduced during Civil War, 1861-1865.

Created from land in south end of Hood County and organized in 1875; Glen Rose (founded as Barnard's Mill), county seat.
 
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 4977.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
 
Location. 32° 14.097′ N, 97° 45.34′ W. Marker is in Glen Rose, Texas, in Somervell County. Marker is at the intersection of Northeast Barnard Street (State Highway 144) and Elm
Somervell County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, August 10, 2019
2. Somervell County Marker
Street, on the right when traveling south on Northeast Barnard Street. Marker is located on the southeast end of the courthouse square. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Northeast Barnard Street, Glen Rose TX 76043, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Somervell County Veterans (here, next to this marker); Somervell County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); First National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Dinosaur Tracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Campbell Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Squaw Creek Indian Fight, 1864 (approx. 3˝ miles away); Comanche Peak (approx. 10˝ miles away).
 
More about this marker. This marker was originally placed in 1936 with different text. The marker was restored in 1965 and a new bronze plaque, with revised text, replaced the 1936 original.
 
Also see . . .  Somervell County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 13, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 112 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 13, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021