Gideon Gilpin House
At the time of the battle [of Brandywine], Gideon Gilpin, a Quaker farmer, lived here with his wife and six children. Gideon Gilpin owned 130 acres of farm land. After the battle, foraging soldiers plundered the property. The claim of losses filed by Gilpin included 10 “milch” cows, a yoke of oxen, 48 sheep, 28 swine, 12 tons of hay, 230 bushels of wheat, 50 pounds of bacon, a history book, and a gun.
With the farm devastated and unsustainable, Gilpin converted his home into a tavern to support his family. Their tavern was operated from 1778 to 1789 and provided meals, drink, and sleeping space for travelers along the Great Nottingham Road. Today, the Gideon Gilpin house appears much as it was in 1777.
For more information on the Battle of Brandywine please visit our Visitor Center. Our hours are Tues.-Sat., 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Sunday, Noon to 4:30 p.m. Tours of the houses are offered on a regular basis throughout the day. Tickets can be purchased only at the Visitor Center. Call for tour schedule information and reservations at (610) 459-3342.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Notable Places • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1778.
Location. 39° 52.475′ N, 75° 34.308′ W. Marker is near Chadds Ford Township, Pennsylvania, in Delaware County. Marker can be reached from Baltimore Pike (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling west. Marker is located in Brandywine Battlefield Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1463 Baltimore Pike, Chadds Ford PA 19317, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The National Arborist Association (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Casimir Pulaski (about 600 feet away); Battle of Brandywine (approx. 0.3 miles away); Christian C. Sanderson (approx. 0.3 miles away); To Honor All Who Served in the Founding, Defense, and Preservation of Our Great Country (approx. 0.3 miles away); Kuerner Farm (approx. 0.4 miles away); Archie's Corner (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chadds Ford Township.
More about this marker. Two photographs from inside the Gideon Gilpin House appear on the marker.
Also see . . .
1. Lafayette's Quarters. Brandywine Battlefield website. (Submitted on November 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
2. The Battle of Brandywine. September 11, 1777 at Brandywine, Pennsylvania.(Submitted on November 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,578 times since then and 151 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.