Jacksboro in Jack County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created 1856. Organized 1857. Named for W.H. and P.C. Jack, brothers and patriots in the Texas Revolution.
Butterfield Overland Mail, 1858-1861, had 3 stage stops in county. In 1861, Jack County voted against secession, 76-14. Most men fought in frontier units. Some were Confederates; others joined Federal army.
Fort Richardson was established in 1867. In 1871 near Jacksboro, Kiowas massacred Warren Wagon Train teamsters. General of the Army W.T. Sherman, then at the fort, sent General Ranald S. MacKenzie, Commander, to arrest the Indians. Chiefs Satanta and Big Tree were convicted in first non-tribal trials of Plains Indians in North Texas. By 1875 MacKenzie's Raiders had opened West Texas for settlement.
A Corn Club founded in Jacksboro by County Agent Tom Marks on September 8, 1907, was the forerunner of the International 4 H Clubs.
Fort Richardson, with 7 original buildings standing, is now a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark. Museum is open the year round. Other attractions include circular high school building and old limestones on square, Jacksboro. Recreation centers about lakes, parks,
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2698.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
Location. 33° 13.128′ N, 98° 9.512′ W. Marker is in Jacksboro, Texas, in Jack County. Marker is on North Main Street (U.S. 281) north of East Belknap Street (Texas Highway 59), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located on the courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 North Main Street, Jacksboro TX 76458, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Jack County Courthouse Cornerstone (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Hess Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); Former Gulf, Texas & Western Railroad Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Butterfield Stage Line (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Richardson (approx. ¼ mile away); G. D. Cross (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sewell Park (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksboro.
Also see . . . Jack County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 19, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.