Van Dorn House
(Located One-Half Mile to the East)
Originally named "The Hill," this house was built by Peter Aaron Van Dorn, ca. 1828. Located on one of Port Gibson's highest hills, the brick and cypress house was constructed from the resources presumed to be local. Distinctive features of the house are the Venetian slates above the windows to help control the air in the house , and the thirty-four windows containing over 800 panes of glass.
Marker placed by the Mississippi State Society, DAR
October 26, 2000.
Erected 2000 by Mississippi State Society, DAR.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 31° 57.038′ N, 90° 59.154′ W. Marker is in Port Gibson, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is on Church Street (U.S. 61) near Horton Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1601 Church Street, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Vicksburg Campaign and Siege (here, next to this marker); Claiborne County (a few steps from this marker); Samuel Gibson House
More about this marker. Located at the Port Gibson Chamber of Commerce/Tourist Information building.
Categories. • Architecture • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Van Dorn House.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 93 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 17, 2019.