Glen Rose in Somervell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Somervell County Courthouse
County was organized in 1875 and named for General Alexander Somervell (1796-1854), Texas soldier, colonist, and statesman.
Court was first held in an old store across road from Barnard's Mill. A log cabin (1 block W) was used later. Third courthouse (first on this site) was finished in 1882 but burned in 1893, along with many valuable records. Present structure has a fireproof vault.
Erected 1963 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4978.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 32° 14.106′ N, 97° 45.341′ W. Marker is in Glen Rose, Texas, in Somervell County. Marker is on Northeast Barnard Street (State Highway 144), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Northeast Barnard Street, Glen Rose TX 76043, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured Somervell County Veterans (a few steps from this marker); Somervell County (a few steps from this marker); Dinosaur Tracks (within shouting distance of this marker); First National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Campbell Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Squaw Creek Indian Fight, 1864 (approx. 3.4 miles away); Comanche Peak (approx. 10˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 64 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 19, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.