Decatur in Wise County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Wise County Courthouse
Third built since creation of the county in 1856.
Erected, 1895. Of pink Texas granite, with interior of Vermont marble. Has been called architecturally perfect. Has commanding height of 1,112'.
Bonded cost paid in full April 10, 1945. Modernized 1960.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
Entered in the National Register of Historic Places - 1976
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5874.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is April 10, 1945.
Location. 33° 14.071′ N, 97° 35.221′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is at the intersection of North State Street and West Walnut Street (Business U.S. 81), on the right when traveling north on North State Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 North Trinity Street, Decatur TX 76234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel Absalom Bishop (here, next to this marker); Captain George W. Stevens (within shouting distance of this marker); Randolph VeseyWise County C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Vernon Terrell (within shouting distance of this marker); Wise County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Chisholm Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Wise County Messenger (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 139 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 19, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.