Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clio in Genesee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Clio Depot

 
 
Clio Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, August 16, 2019
1. Clio Depot Marker
Inscription.  In 1862 the Flint Pere Marquette Railroad built its original 26.1-mile section of track from Saginaw to Mount Morris. It selected Clio, originally known as Varna, as a railroad station location. The area around Varna was covered with white pine. The railroad thrived on the shipment of logs, lumber and wood products. In 1873 Varna changed its name to Clio and this frame depot was built. As the surrounding forests were cleared, rich farm land became available. By 1881 Clio had a population of 550 and boasted a blacksmith shop, a flour mill, a shingle mill, a grain elevator and numerous general stores. Between 1880 and 1915, as many as eight passenger trains stopped at the station each day and hundreds of carloads of freight were shipped each year. The station was used by the railroads until 1960. In 1977 it was purchased by the Clio Area Historical Association.
 
Erected 1985 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L586.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce
Clio Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, August 16, 2019
2. Clio Depot Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1862.
 
Location. 43° 10.651′ N, 83° 44.24′ W. Marker is in Clio, Michigan, in Genesee County. Marker is on West Vienna Street near Railway Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 West Vienna Street, Clio MI 48420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The American Legion Memorial Highway (approx. 2 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Montrose Township Cemetery / Methodist Protestant Church (approx. 6.8 miles away); Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 7.7 miles away); St. Paul's Episcopal Mission (approx. 8 miles away); Taymouth Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 8 miles away); West Forest United Methodist Church (approx. 8.6 miles away); Brent Creek United Methodist Church (approx. 8.6 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 144 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 19, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=138086

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 16, 2022