Jacksboro in Jack County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Jack County Courthouse Cornerstone
Removed 1885 from third Jack County Courthouse when building was razed. Mounted here in 1966.
Old Courthouse was of native limestone, quarried in Jacksboro. For its day, workmanship and stone of finest quality.
Bell is also a relic of the third courthouse. It was part of the mechanism in the building's clock tower, and was mounted in frame here by Jacksboro firemen.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3754.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
Location. 33° 13.143′ N, 98° 9.511′ W. Marker is in Jacksboro, Texas, in Jack County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (U.S. 281) and East Archer Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Marker is located on the courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 North Main Street, Jacksboro TX 76458, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jack County (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Hess Building (about 400 feet away, measured in First Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); Former Gulf, Texas & Western Railroad Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Butterfield Stage Line (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Richardson (approx. ¼ mile away); G. D. Cross (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sewell Park (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksboro.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 102 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 24, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.