Havre de Grace in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
American Legion Post No. 47
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
[Plaque to the left:]
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1922.
Location. 39° 33.117′ N, 76° 5.481′ W. Marker is in Havre de Grace, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is on Saint John Street just north of Warren Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 St John Street, Havre de Grace MD 21078, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Major General Marquis De LaFayette (within shouting distance of this marker); Lafayette's Tour (within shouting distance of this marker); Susquehanna Lower Ferry (within shouting distance of this marker); Susquehanna River Crossing (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Susquehanna Lower FerryMatilda O'Neill Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Under Attack (within shouting distance of this marker); Flag Pole Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Havre de Grace.
Interestingly, this property is not individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places. However, it is a contributing property (like most buildings in downtown Havre de Grace), part of the Havre de Grace Historic District. The district is considered one listing on the National Register of Historic Places, consisting of many contributing buildings. This happens to be one of those contributing buildings.
According to the American Guide Series (Maryland, 1940), this structure was originally called The Ferry House when it was completed in 1760. It was some time later rebranded as Lafayette Hotel before the American Legion took ownership of the building.
— Submitted January 19, 2022, by Adam Margolis of Mission Viejo, California.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 23, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.