Urbana in Champaign County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Johnson Manufacturing Company
The Johnson Manufacturing Company was incorporated in 1902 by brothers James B., J. Will, Isaac T., and Charles F. Johnson, all of Quaker heritage. The company manufactured tin and galvanized iron ware for railroad lines across the United States. The initial product was the No. 1 long-spouted locomotive oiler with the patented dripless spout. That was quickly followed by other types of oil cans, signaling equipment, engine buckets, tallow pots, torches, track inspection devices, tin cups, and caboose and cabin car lamps, all carrying the Diamond J trademark. The makers created the patterns and everything was cut, riveted, and soldered by hand. As production expanded, the original frame building at 605 Miami Street was replaced by a brick structure in 1910, the southernmost part of the present building.
Subsequent additions expanded capacity and the Johnson Manufacturing Company became a national leader in the manufacture of railroad operating supplies. During the Great Depression, the Roll Rite cigarette roller, poultry waterers, and hygrometers were produced from patented Johnson designs. About 1939, the firm turned from railroads
Erected 2005 by Family of Charles F. Johnson III, Champaign County Bicentennial Historical Marker Committee, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 21-11.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 40° 6.507′ N, 83° 45.548′ W. Marker was in Urbana, Ohio, in Champaign County. Marker was at the intersection of Miami Street (U.S. 36) and Storms Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Miami Street. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 605 Miami Street, Urbana OH 43078, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad (within shouting Pennsylvania Railroad Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad (about 400 feet away); Champaign County World War I Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dayton, Springfield, and Urbana Electric Railway (approx. 0.3 miles away); This tablet mark's the Site of Doolittle's Tavern (approx. 0.3 miles away); Champaign County Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Billy "Single" Clifford /Clifford Theater (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Urbana.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 3,163 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 24, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on October 14, 2020, by Robert Baughman of Bellefontaine, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.