Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Hiram Lodge No. 21 A.F&A.M.

 
 
Hiram Lodge No. 21 A.F&A.M. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), August 24, 2019
1. Hiram Lodge No. 21 A.F&A.M. Marker
Inscription.  Hiram Lodge No. 21 was granted a charter by the Masonic Grand Lodge of Delaware on June 27, 1866 making it the first lodge chartered in Delaware after the Civil War. Members held meetings in the adjacent Odd Fellows Hall until they constructed this two-story building. The masons moved into their new lodge, located on the building's second floor, on December 29, 1912. The first floor has been used as the city jail, police station, barber shop, and beauty salon. Hiram Lodge No. 21 has served the Seaford community throughout its history by funding scholarships and participating in community service activities.
 
Erected 2017 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-260.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 27, 1866.
 
Location. 38° 38.461′ N, 75° 36.715′ W. Marker is in Seaford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on High Street just west of Church Street, on the left
Hiram Lodge No. 21 A.F&A.M. building across from the marker. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, July 20, 2020
2. Hiram Lodge No. 21 A.F&A.M. building across from the marker.
Click or scan to see
this page online
when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 High Street, Seaford DE 19973, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mount Olivet United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Seaford Post Office (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Seaford Fire Department (about 500 feet away); Gateway to Freedom: The Tilly Escape (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Delaware Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. John's United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor William H. H. Ross (approx. Ό mile away); St. Luke's Episcopal Church (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seaford.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 25, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 136 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 25, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   2. submitted on August 1, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=138272

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Mar. 21, 2023