Brooklyn in Kings County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Louis Valentine Jr. Ballfield/Carroll Park
Valentino fulfilled his lifelong aspiration to become a firefighter when he joined the Fire Department in 1984. he was assigned to Engine Company 281 where he battled fires for two years. He was twice cited for bravery, 1n 1987 and again in 1990, and served with Ladder Company 2 in Crown Heights in 1993, joining the ranks of the city’s most experienced and versatile firefighters.
On February 5, 1996 Valentino was killed while searching for wounded firefighters in a three alarm blaze in an illegal Flatlands garage. A Brooklyn mechanic who caused the fire was convicted of murdering Valentino on
Brooklyn’s third oldest park is named for Charles Carroll (1737-1832), an American Revolutionary leader and signer of the Declaration of Independence, for whom Carroll Street is also named. He served in the Continental Congress from 1776-78, represented Maryland in the Senate from 1789-92 and also led a Maryland regiment that defended the Old Stone House in Park Slope. The park originated in the late 1840s as a private community gardens shortly after much of the neighborhood, which now comprises the Carroll Gardens Historic District, which was laid out by surveyor Robert Butts. The land was acquired for use as a public park by the City of Brooklyn in 1853. It was first improved around 1870 when a damage system was installed, a children’s playground was built, and new walks were laid. Subsequent renovations in the 1890s, 1930s, and 1960s introduced new design features and playgrounds, which increased opportunities for active recreation.
In 1994 Carroll Park underwent a $1.3 million capital reconstruction and redesign, funded by Borough President Golden. Improvements included new plantings,
Community involvement in the programming, maintenance, and preservation of the park has been ensured by the Committee to Improve Carroll Park (first formed in 1975), in partnership with City of New York/Parks and Recreation.
City of New York Parks & Recreation
Rudolph W. Giuliani, Mayor
Howard Golden, Borough President
Henry J. Stern, Commissioner
Erected 1997 by City of New York Parks & Recreation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Parks & Recreational Areas. In addition, it is included in the Signers of the Declaration of Independence series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 5, 1996.
Location. 40° 40.9′ N, 73° 59.77′ W. Marker is in Brooklyn, New York, in Kings County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street and President Street, on the left when traveling south on Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brooklyn NY 11231, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Soldiers and Sailors World War I Monument (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Birth Place of Jennie Jerome (approx. 0.4 miles away); Carroll Street Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cornelius Heeney (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cobble Hill Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Ponkiesberg Fortification (approx. 0.6 miles away); Maryland Heroes (approx. ¾ mile away); Maryland Regiment Burial Site (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brooklyn.
Also see . . . Carroll Park. Official NYC Parks description. (Submitted on March 5, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 22 times this year. Last updated on August 25, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 9, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.