(Continued on other side)
When Richland Co. decided to consolidate their school districts in 1951, Blythewood was one of four schools in the new Richland School District 2. For much of its history, Blythewood School remained segregated and only open to white students. That ended in 1969 when Richland District 2, along with school districts throughout S.C., implemented desegregation plans. From 1970-1991 the building housed Blythewood Elementary, and then in 1994 became Blythewood Academy.
Erected 2019 by Richland County Conservation Commission and Blythewood Historical Society and Museum. (Marker Number 40-210.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1921.
Location. 34° 13.172′ N, 80° 58.325′ W. Marker is in Blythewood, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Main Street / Wilson Boulevard (U.S. 21), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Main Street, Blythewood SC 29016, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George P. Hoffman House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bethel Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sandy Level Baptist Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Sandfield Baptist Church / Sandfield Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Fairfield Institute / Kelly Miller (approx. 4½ miles away); St. Paul Baptist Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Little Zion Baptist Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); Skirmish at Killian's Mill (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blythewood.
Additional keywords. Segregation / Desegregation
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2019, by Nancy Stone-Collum of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 273 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 26, 2019, by Nancy Stone-Collum of Columbia, South Carolina. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.