Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Timothy's Episcopal Church
St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church dates to 1892 and is the third oldest Episcopal parish in Columbia. It began as a mission to provide Sunday School for the children of Arsenal Hill. As the congregation grew the church moved, first to a house on Lincoln St. in 1893 and then to a chapel on Calhoun St., which was completed in 1895. In 1912 the church was admitted into union with the diocese of S.C.
Erected 2018 by St. Timothy's Episcopal Church. (Marker Number 40-209.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
Location. 34° 0.625′ N, 81° 2.578′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is at the intersection of Calhoun Street and Lincoln Street, on the right when traveling east on Calhoun Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 Calhoun Street, Columbia SC 29201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. South Carolina Memorial Gardens (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor's Mansion (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Boylston House & Boxwood Gardens (about 400 feet away); Philip Simmons (about 500 feet away); Site of Palmetto Iron Works (about 600 feet away); The Gonzales Fountain (about 600 feet away); Earl of Clarendon (about 600 feet away); Lord John Berkeley (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Also see . . . St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church. (Submitted on August 27, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2019, by Nancy Stone-Collum of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 27, 2019, by Nancy Stone-Collum of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.