Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Great Barrington in Berkshire County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

First Congregational Church

 
 
First Congregational Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, August 25, 2019
1. First Congregational Church Marker
Inscription.  
First Congregational Church
Gathered in 1743 as the Second Parish of Sheffield, the congregation worshipped in The Meeting House which was located one half mile from here in the Water Street Cemetery near the big bridge. It was one of only three public buildings west of Springfield on the bourgeoning frontier of Massachusetts Bay Colony. The first minister, Rev. Samuel Hopkins, a 22 year old graduate of Yale, found five men willing to accept an extremely strict Puritan Covenant with God. It was the third church founded in this Indian area of Housatunnock: Rev. Hopkins preached here for 25 years. Eventually the people objected to his doctrinal and argumentative style of preaching and the Town refused to pay his salary. In 1813 the congregation moved to this site and built a Federal Clapboard structure. Although there was a decided moderation of Puritan ethics by this time, strict principles were enforced against the “amusements of the ballroom,” “intoxicating liquors” and members who did not attend weekly worship services. In 1860 a stone church was built to replace the wooden building which had been
First Congregational Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, August 25, 2019
2. First Congregational Church Marker
sold to the Town for use as the Town Hall. The new building measured 108 x 60 ft. with a spire 140 ft. high. On March 4, 1882, fire destroyed the house of worship and adjoining chapel. This present structure, designed by W.C. Brocklesby, Hartford, CT, was built upon the lower walls and foundations of the burned church and chapel and dedicated Sept. 21, 1883. Inside is the largest remaining Hilborn L. Roosevelt Organ of 3,954 pipes, a gift of Timothy Hopkins, great, great grandson of first minister. Attached by Cloister is the Parsonage/Manse with its Carriage House (built 1884); architects were Peabody and Stearns of Boston. The Church Building, Manse and Organ were placed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 20, 1992.
 
Location. 42° 11.717′ N, 73° 21.681′ W. Marker is in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, in Berkshire County. Marker is at the intersection of S Main Street and Church Street, on the right when traveling north on S Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 251 Main Street, Great Barrington MA 01230, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Laura Ingersoll Secord (within shouting distance of this marker); Great Barrington Bi-Centennial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); W.E. B. Du Bois Birthsite (about 700 feet away); The Mahaiwe Theater
First Congregational Church image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, August 25, 2019
3. First Congregational Church
(about 700 feet away); First Court House of Berkshire County (about 700 feet away); Great Barrington World War I Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Great Barrington Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); You Stand Free Because They Served (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Great Barrington.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 

More. Search the internet for First Congregational Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 27, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement