Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Plano in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Plano High School and Gymnasium

 
 
Plano High School and Gymnasium Recorded Texas Historic Landmark image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, March 8, 2014
1. Plano High School and Gymnasium Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Inscription.  The Plano Institute opened on this site in 1882 before a public school system existed in Plano. In 1891, city officials bought the school and took over operations. Later schools built here included one in 1924 which became the core of the current structure. The federal government added the gymnasium as a Works Progress Administration project in 1938. After the school closed, the district used the building for administration and the gym became an auditorium. The former school exhibits an eclectic mix of styles, most notably Mission and Classical, with double stepped parapets over the entry pavilion and cartouches centered over the decorative entry. A cross motif is evident on both red brick structures.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2006

 
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13666.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducation.
 
Location. 33° 1.261′ N, 96° 42.193′ W. Marker is in Plano, Texas, in Collin
Plano High School and Gymnasium with Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, March 8, 2014
2. Plano High School and Gymnasium with Marker
County. Marker is at the intersection of H Avenue and East 16th Street, on the left when traveling north on H Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1517 H Avenue, Plano TX 75074, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Christian Church of Plano (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Texas Electric Railway Station (about 600 feet away); Plano National Bank / I.O.O.F. Lodge Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mathews General Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hill-Robberson House (approx. 2.4 miles away); Blewett Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Richardson (approx. 4.3 miles away); Richardson (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plano.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 28, 2019, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 103 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 28, 2019, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 21, 2020