Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
North Creek in Warren County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The North Creek Railroad Depot

 
 
The North Creek Railroad Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, August 27, 2019
1. The North Creek Railroad Depot Marker
Inscription.  The Depot is a fine architectural example of the typical rural railroad station of the late 19th century. The original one room depot, built in 1871, was abandoned and the present depot was built with platforms fitted with two bays to accommodate stagecoaches and freight wagons. The freight house was built in 1903. The depot is part of the railroad complex which consists of the ticket depot, freight house, engine house, tool house, 90 foot turntable, sand tower and stagecoach stables. To the north of the freight house was the ice house, water tank, a grain shed, a coal shed, a lumber platform and a garnet shed and platform.

The dpot is a simple, rectangular, gable-roofed building with broad overhanging strut-supported roof. The exterior of the “stick style” building is covered with vertical boards with batten stips, a decorative element referred to as “carpenter gothic revival”. The only strong decorative elements are the “hoods” over the depotís windows and doors which come from the contemporary Italianate influences of the period. At the depotís south end, a gable-roofed open pavilion was added in
The North Creek Railroad Depot & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, August 27, 2019
2. The North Creek Railroad Depot & Marker
The marker is integral with the "Welcome to North Creek & the North Creek Depot Museum" sign.
1880. Like the station, this porch is executed in the “stick style”, with notched rafter ends and an “egg and dart” decorative border at the gable end. The roof is covered in cedar shakes. Early photographs indicate that the “egg and dart” motif also decorated the roof crest at one time. In 1890 this addition was partially enclosed to become a separate ladies waiting room.

An analysis of paint samples indicated that the stationís experior was painted a light brown called “Johnsburg Brown”, a poaint made locally, using clay as a pigment. The label molding was painted green and the tall narrow window sashed red.
 
Location. 43° 41.86′ N, 73° 59.149′ W. Marker is in North Creek, New York, in Warren County. Marker can be reached from Railroad Place 0.1 miles east of Main Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 Railroad Place, North Creek NY 12853, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. North Creek Turntable (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gore Mountain Gondola Cabin (approx. 0.4 miles away); Engine House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Barton Mines (approx. 0.4 miles away); Adirondack Railway Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); North Creek Depot
The North Creek Railroad Depot image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, August 27, 2019
3. The North Creek Railroad Depot
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Theodore Roosevelt (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Theodore Roosevelt (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in North Creek.
 
Also see . . .  North Creek Depot Museum. (Submitted on August 30, 2019, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
 
Categories. ArchitectureRailroads & Streetcars
 

More. Search the internet for The North Creek Railroad Depot.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2019, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 30, 2019, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.
Paid Advertisement