Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Carpinteria in Santa Barbara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

La Carpinteria

1769

 
 
La Carpinteria (1769) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 11, 2009
1. La Carpinteria (1769) Marker
Inscription.  The Chumash Indian Village of "Mishopshnow," discovered by Juan Rodriquez Cabrillo, August 14, 1542, was located one-fourth mile southwest of here. Fray Juan Crespi of the Gaspar de Portola expedition named it "San Roque," August 17, 1769. Portola's soldiers, observing the Indians building wooden canoes, called the village, "La Carpinteria" — The Carpenter Shop.
 
Erected by County of Santa Barbara in cooperation with the California State Park Commission. (Marker Number 535.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ExplorationNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, and the Gaspar de Portolá Expedition series lists.
 
Location. 34° 23.844′ N, 119° 31.069′ W. Marker is in Carpinteria, California, in Santa Barbara County. Marker is at the intersection of Maple Street and Carpinteria Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Maple Street. Marker is located at the Carpinteria
La Carpinteria (1769) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 11, 2009
2. La Carpinteria (1769) Marker
Valley Museum of History. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 956 Maple Street, Carpinteria CA 93013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wardholme Torrey Pine (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); “World’s Safest Beach” (about 500 feet away); Portolá Sycamore (approx. 0.3 miles away); Carpinteria’s Lima Bean History (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named La Carpinteria (approx. half a mile away); Heath Adobe (approx. 0.8 miles away); To the Loyalty (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Southern Pacific RR Roundhouse (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carpinteria.
 
More about this marker. This is one of two identical markers at two different locations in town. They were originally located on Highway 101 near Casitas Pass Road, with one on the northbound side and one on the southbound side. One-fourth mile southwest of there is the Portolá Sycamore marker, the location of The Carpenter Shop.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The naming of Carpinteria.
 
Also see . . .  Carpinteria Valley Museum of History. (Submitted on July 4, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California.)
 
Marker and Museum image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, March 26, 2020
3. Marker and Museum
La Carpinteria Sign image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, March 26, 2020
4. La Carpinteria Sign
On Casitas Pass Road.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 584 times since then. Last updated on August 30, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   3, 4. submitted on March 29, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 21, 2021