Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Solomons in Calvert County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Business End of a Screwpile

 
 
The Business End of a Screwpile Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 30, 2019
1. The Business End of a Screwpile Marker
Inscription.  Screwpile lighthouses like Drum Point get their name from the pilings which were screwed into the seabed to support the lighthouse structure. This cast-iron auger and attached section of wrought-iron pile were recovered from the original site of Drum Point Lighthouse in 2001.

Screwpile lighthouses were first developed by Irish engineer Alexander Mitchell, who patented his invention in 1833. Screwpiles became widely used throughout the world as a foundation system for piers and bridge as well as lighthouses.

Surprisingly, little has come to light describing how the heavy plies were supported and driven at the precise angles required. In earlier years, a barge-mounted capstan, rotated by a team of men, drove the piles. It is known, however, that the seven piles that supported Drum Point Lighthouse were set in the remarkably short time of three days.

CMM 2001.17

[Captions:]
Lighthouse Depot, Lazaretto Point, Baltimore
Much of the ironwork, manufactured at the Allentown Rolling Mills, was numbered to aid in construction when on-site. Materials for the construction
The Business End of a Screwpile Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 30, 2019
2. The Business End of a Screwpile Marker
of the lighthouse were assembled at the United States Lighthouse Establishment's Lazaretto Depot in Baltimore. This view shows the depot in later years.
RG 26, National Archives at College Park, College Park, MD.

U.S.L.H.E. Tender Jessamine
The lighthouse tender Jessamine, built in 1881, helped transport the materials and work crew to the site of Drum Point Lighthouse in 1883.
Courtesy, U.S. Coast Guard Historian's Office, Washington, D.C.
 
Erected by Calvert Marine Museum.
 
Location. 38° 19.875′ N, 76° 27.805′ W. Marker is in Solomons, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker can be reached from Solomons Island Road South (Maryland Route 2) just south of Thomas Johnson Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14200 Solomons Island Road South, Solomons MD 20688, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to Drum Point Lighthouse (here, next to this marker); Drum Point Lighthouse (was here, next to this marker but has been reported permanently removed. ); Wm. B. Tennison (here, next to this marker); Power Bateau (a few steps from this marker); Calvert Marine Museum's Dee of St. Mary's
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(a few steps from this marker); This flagpole (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Wm. B. Tennison (a few steps from this marker); Sailing Bateau Witch of the Wave (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Solomons.
 
Categories. ArchitectureWaterways & Vessels
 

More. Search the internet for The Business End of a Screwpile.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 31, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement