Taylor in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Immanuel Lutheran Church
German immigrants began settling in the new railroad town of Taylor in the 1880s. Lutheran worship services were held as early as 1885, and the Rev. I. J. Glatzle and fourteen families formally organized this congregation in 1888. The Rev. Gus Szillat became the church's first resident pastor when a parsonage was built in 1892. A frame church building completed in 1894 was destroyed in a 1916 fire, but the congregation soon rebuilt. Worship services were conducted in the German language until the 1940s. The church remains a reflection of the town's ethnic heritage.
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9110.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 33.149′ N, 97° 27.179′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Texas, in Williamson County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 411 County Road 401, Taylor TX 76574, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Doak Pavilion Site (approx. 2 miles away); Taylor Brethren Church (approx. 2 miles away); Booth House (approx. 2.1 miles away); Wedemeyer Hospital Site (approx. 2.4 miles away); Doak Home (approx. 2.6 miles away); Tucker-Smith HouseSt. James Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Taylor Post Office (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylor.
Also see . . . History of the Immanuel Lutheran Church. (Submitted on August 31, 2019, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 19, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,562 times since then. Last updated on August 31, 2019, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on December 19, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on August 31, 2019, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 3. submitted on December 19, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.