Marksville in Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Congregational First Baptist Church
Organized in 1889 under the leadership of Rev. J.W. Womack of Beggs, Oklahoma. Rev. and Mrs. Womack opened the first private "colored" school in Avoyelles Parish. Rev. A.L. Holmes was pastor of this church for 37 years.
Erected by City of Marksville.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Louisiana, Marksville Historical Markers Driving Tour series list.
Location. 31° 7.477′ N, 92° 3.724′ W. Marker is in Marksville, Louisiana, in Avoyelles Parish. Marker is on Legion Drive near North Preston Street (State Highway 452), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marksville LA 71351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Marksville "Colored" School Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Holy Ghost Catholic School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Holy Ghost Catholic Church (about 500 feet away); Auguste Voinche Store (approx. Marksville Masonic Lodge Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Lewis P. Roy, Sr. Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Frank Hotel Site (approx. ¼ mile away); J. Horace Ducote Law Office (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marksville.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 1, 2019.