Near Quitman in Wood County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
February 5, 1850
August 5, 1850
Named in Honor of
George T. Wood
Member of the Congress of the
Republic of Texas
An officer in the Mexican War
Governor of Texas 1847-1849
Quitman, the county seat
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 13409.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 32° 45.875′ N, 95° 27.711′ W. Marker is near Quitman, Texas, in Wood County. Marker is on Texas Route 37, on the right when traveling north. North end of the Lake Fork Creek bridge, on right. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Quitman TX 75783, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Flora Lodge No. 119, A.F. & A.M. (approx. one mile away); James A. Stinson Home (approx. 1.8 miles away); James Stephen Hogg's Early Home J. H. Jones and the Old Settlers Reunion Grounds (approx. 1.9 miles away); County Divided into School Districts (approx. 2.2 miles away); Ambrose Fitzgerald (approx. 2.2 miles away); James Stephen Hogg (approx. 2.2 miles away); Wood County Courthouse (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quitman.
More about this marker. The 1936 granite and bronze historical markers were part of a unique effort and represent aspects of the historic preservation and craftsmanship of that time.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association on Wood County. (Submitted on September 1, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 1, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.