Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chester in Windsor County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
 

North Chester

 
 
North Chester Marker (side 1) image. Click for full size.
By Dennis Gilkenson, August 27, 2019
1. North Chester Marker (side 1)
Inscription.  
Side 1
Known locally as the Stone Village, eleven adjacent buildings display similar distinctive masonry. The earliest house (second east of the church) was built c. 1834 for Dr. Ptolemy Edson. Seven more houses, the church, a school, and a cooper’s shop followed by 1855. The architectural designs show features from the transitional period of the Federal and Greek Revival styles. Natives of Chester, the brothers Addison, Orrison, and Wiley Clark were the primary masons along with Arvin Earle and other skilled tradesmen. The double-wall structural technique comprises exterior vertical thin slabs of local gneiss and sparkling mica schist tied with intermittent horizontal slender pieces of stone through an interior rubble wall.

Side 2
North Chester emerged with a cluster of wood-framed buildings in the late 1700s. By the early 1800s, it was the primary Chester stop on the Green Mountain Turnpike stagecoach route between Boston and Montreal. With water power from the Williams River for grist and saw mills, the village flourished to include twenty houses, a church, a school, four stores, two taverns, a tannery, and
North Chester Marker (side 2) image. Click for full size.
By Dennis Gilkenson, August 27, 2019
2. North Chester Marker (side 2)
a post office by 1824. A decade later, development of the Stone Village began to transform the architectural character of North Chester. The village ceased to expand after the newly completed Rutland and Burlington Railroad located its station a half-mile away at Chester Depot in 1849, quickly diverting travel and commerce.
 
Erected 2019 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
 
Location. 43° 16.49′ N, 72° 35.548′ W. Marker is in Chester, Vermont, in Windsor County. Marker is on North Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 North Street, Chester VT 05143, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chester Depot (approx. half a mile away); Chester Academy / District No. 20 Central School (approx. ¾ mile away); Chester Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Chester Vietnam Conflict Monument (approx. 0.8 miles away); Chester World War I and II and Korean Conflict Monument (approx. 0.8 miles away); Merritt Austin Edson (approx. 0.8 miles away); Stellafane Observatory (approx. 3.7 miles away); James Hartness & Precision Valley Inventors (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester.
 
Categories. ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers
 
North Chester Marker in Distance image. Click for full size.
By Dennis Gilkenson, August 27, 2019
3. North Chester Marker in Distance
North Chester Stone House image. Click for full size.
By Dennis Gilkenson, August 27, 2019
4. North Chester Stone House
 

More. Search the internet for North Chester.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2019, by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 2, 2019, by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement