Port Gibson in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Founded 1879 as a preparatory school for boys by the Presbyterian Church. Named for Jer. Chamberlain, president, and David Hunt, major benefactor, of Oakland College (1826-1861), predecessor of this academy.
Erected 1980 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 31° 56.799′ N, 90° 59.253′ W. Marker is in Port Gibson, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is on Church Street (U.S. 61) near McComb Avenue (State Route 547), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Chamberlain-Hunt Academy (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Idlewild (approx. ¼ mile away); The Vicksburg Campaign and Siege (approx. 0.3 miles away); Van Dorn House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Claiborne County (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Claiborne CountySamuel Gibson House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dependency (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Gibson.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 2, 2019.