Gambier in Knox County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
With the construction of a railroad line between Cleveland and Columbus around 1870, Gambier entered the glorious era of train travel. Since Kenyon owned most of the land through which the new railroad would pass, the College gave a right-of-way through Gambier with the stipulation that all passenger trains stop at the stone depot which once stood west of this location. A trip to Columbus took about 1 ½ hours and cost $1.50, while a northbound trip to Cleveland took just under 4 hours.
The village of Gambier has experienced little change over the years. It has a volunteer fire department that serves the township and a mayor-council form of government and still enjoys a close connection with the College,
Erected by Kokosing Gap Trail Board of Trustees.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1823.
Location. 40° 22.16′ N, 82° 23.514′ W. Marker is in Gambier, Ohio, in Knox County. Marker is at the intersection of Meadow Lane and Kokosing Gap Trail, on the right when traveling south on Meadow Lane. Marker is about 100 feet southeast of the Kenyon College recreation and athletics building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gambier OH 43022, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 0-6-0 Steam Locomotive (a few steps from this marker); C & O caboose (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Kenyon Cornerstone (approx. 0.3 miles away); Edward Bates Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Colonel Lorin Andrews (approx. half a mile away); George Wharton Marriott (approx. half a mile away); David Bates Douglass (approx. half a mile away); Kenyon College (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gambier.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 814 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 26, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.