Gambier in Knox County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
C & O caboose
This Chesapeake & Ohio caboose was part of an order of 100 wood cabooses built by the Standard Steel Car Company of Baltimore, Md. These cars were numbered 90700 to 90799 and cost $2,728.49 each. The style of this wood caboose was a C&O system standard and other cabooses were built by different manufacturers to this same C&O design.
The 90700-series cabooses were unique in that they were built with a center cupola window and also were the last cabooses built for the Chesapeake and Ohio that were delivered riding on archbar trucks (wheel sets), later replaced with a more modern truck with heavy cast side frames. Caboose 90776 was built in November 1924 and rode the rails until February 1979. It was donated to the City of Mount Vernon in June 1979 and sat for many years in front of the former Pennsylvania
Erected by Kokosing Gap Trail Board of Trustees.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1924.
Location. 40° 22.187′ N, 82° 23.468′ W. Marker is in Gambier, Ohio, in Knox County. Marker is at the intersection of Meadow Lane and Kokosing Gap Trail, on the right when traveling south on Meadow Lane. Marker is about 100 feet southeast of the Kenyon College recreation and athletic building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gambier OH 43022, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 0-6-0 Steam Locomotive (within shouting distance of this marker); Gambier (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Kenyon Cornerstone (approx. 0.3 miles away); Edward Bates Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Colonel Lorin Andrews (approx. half a mile away); George Wharton Marriott (approx. half a mile away); David Bates Douglass (approx. half a mile away); Kenyon College (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gambier.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,301 times since then and 88 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 26, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.