Shreveport in Caddo Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
This Marks the Site of Battery 7
One of the eighteen batteries
and four forts which formed
the Confederate defenses
1864 – 1865
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • War, US Civil.
Location. 32° 30.013′ N, 93° 45.295′ W. Marker is in Shreveport, Louisiana, in Caddo Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Texas Avenue (U.S. 79/80) and Murphy Street, on the right when traveling south on Texas Avenue. Located on the grounds of the Shreveport Police Department. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1234 Texas Avenue, Shreveport LA 71101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Calanthean Temple (approx. 0.4 miles away); Austin Place Houses (approx. 0.4 miles away); Christian-Hamel House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Olgilvie-Wiener House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Logan Mansion (approx. 0.4 miles St. Paul's Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Thief (TV Series) (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shreveport.
Regarding This Marks the Site of Battery 7. With the onset of the Civil War, Shreveport became a Confederate stronghold and headquarters of the Trans-Mississippi Department Army. Eighteen batteries across the city served as the defensive line against Union attack.
These Civil War Battery markers were dedicated in the 1930s when Shreveport marked its centennial and a final gathering of the United Confederate Veterans was held in the city.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 94 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.