Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1968 by By the California Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with Sutter Parlor No.111, N.D.G.W., Elk Grove Parlor No.41, N.S.G.W., August 10, 1968. (Marker Number 823.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmark, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series lists.
Location. 38° 34.817′ N, 121° 29.068′ W. Marker is in Sacramento, California, in Sacramento County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of H Street and 16th Street. GPS Coordinates are of the location of marker prior to removal. Marker is currently propped against the back fence of Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1526 H Street, Sacramento CA 95814, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blue Diamond Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Camellia Coffee Shop (approx. 0.4 miles away); California Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); The California State Insectary (approx. 0.4 miles away); El Camino Real Bell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Father Junipero Serra (approx. 0.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pioneer Camellia Grove (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sacramento.
Regarding Governorís Mansion. This site has been designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.823
Also see . . .
1. The Historic Governorís Mansion of California. (Submitted on November 26, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. Governor's Mansion State Historic Park. Wikipedia article (Submitted on January 3, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.)
1. From the 1978 Tour Brochure
A Brief History
Californiaís Executive Mansion, popularly known as the Governorís Mansion, was built in 1877-78 for Albert Gallatin, President
In 1887, Gallatin sold the home to Joseph Steffens, drygoods merchant and father of author Lincoln Steffens, and in 1903 the State bought it for $32,500 unfurnished. In selecting the 15-room, 5-bathroom Mansion, the Capital Commissioners were thought to have considered comfort more than style, since the Victorian-Gothic architecture of the home already seemed dated in 1903. A small wing was added and the house refurbished and furnished, bringing the total cost to $56,000. Governor George Pardee became the first resident of the new Governorís Mansion.
Californiaís previous attempts to provide a residence for her chief executive had proved futile. In 1879 a structure, which ultimately housed the State Printing Office and State Armory, had been started near the Capital, but it was never finished due to lack of funds, so governors rented houses or lived in hotels.
During its 64 years as the home of 13 Californiaís governors, the Mansion was the scene of four weddings – in 1921 Mrs. Randolph Zane (Barbara Stephens) married John N. Osborn, in 1926 Ruth Richardson
Though the State Fire Marshal had declared the building unsuitable for occupancy in 1941, no alternative official residence was provided, and Governors Warren, Knight, and Brown lived there throughout their terms of office. Governor Earl Warren lived in the Mansion the longest, from 1943 until his appointment to the U.S. Supreme Court in 1953. Governor Ronald Reagan lived in the Mansion during the first part of 1967.
— Submitted November 26, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 5,806 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 26, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 7. submitted on March 14, 2009.