Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
General Albert M. Winn
Erected 1917 by The Historic Landmarks Committee, Native Sons of the Golden West, September 8th, 1917.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 27, 1810.
Location. 38° 34.032′ N, 121° 28.391′ W. Marker is in Sacramento, California, in Sacramento County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of P Street and 26th Street. Marker is located on the walkway near the play structure area of the park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2700 P Street, Sacramento CA 95816, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Coloma Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of the Ridge Home - Sacramento's First Mercy HospitalSutter's Fort (approx. 0.4 miles away); California State Indian Museum (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Dunn Mansion (approx. half a mile away); The First Hundred Years are the Hardest (approx. 0.6 miles away); New Helvetia Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sacramento.
Also see . . . California Military Museum: General Albert Winn. In 1878, Winn moved to Sonoma where he died August 26, 1883 on a ranch owned by his step-son near El Verano, Sonoma County. He was buried at the Pioneer Plot in the City Cemetery in Sacramento. The funeral Procession began from Pioneer Hall on 7th Street and included members of every Fraternal body and civic organization as well as the entire congregation of Grace Church. This remarkable individual who had been instrumental in the founding of so many civic, religious and fraternal organizations, was memorialized by the city of Sacramento with the naming of Winn Park at 28th and P Streets (dedicated by the NSGW August 8, 1917), and the A. M. (Submitted on November 26, 2008.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,488 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 26, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.