Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Danville in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Gum Spring Presbyterian Church

(New Danville)

 
 
Gum Spring Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2019
1. Gum Spring Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  Named for nearby spring with gum log curb; organized Oct. 7, 1850, by the Rev. J. M. Becton. The 1850 roll: Mr. and Mrs. Meshack Barber, S. S. Barnett, Mrs. T. C. Barnett, Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Scott, Mr. and Mrs. Allen Sloan, Nancy Sloan, Mr. and Mrs. T. W. Templeton.

Log church of 1849 burned on Dec. 31, 1857; present structure, built in 1858, housed Danville Masonic Lodge No. 101 and (1858-73) Danville Masonic Female Academy, the parent institution of Lon Morris College. Moving in 1874, congregation became the First Presbyterian Church of Kilgore.

[Supplemental plaques]
Before it burned on April 2, 1978 the Gum Spring Presbyterian (New Danville) Church building stood on this site for 120 years. It welcomed congregations of various faiths when they lacked facilities of their own and also opened its doors to community reunions and other worthy uses. (1978)

American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site No. 184
Registered by the Presbyterian Historical Society
Philadelphia, PA.
 
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9963.)

Gum Spring Presbyterian Church sub-markers. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2019
2. Gum Spring Presbyterian Church sub-markers.

 
Location. 32° 24.113′ N, 94° 49.73′ W. Marker is in Danville, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is on County Route 2452 north of Old Highway 26, on the left when traveling north. Located within the Danville Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kilgore TX 75662, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Danville Community (approx. 0.4 miles away); "Oil City of the World" Kilgore (approx. 2.3 miles away); Kilgore High School (approx. 2.6 miles away); Site of Alexander Institute (approx. 2.8 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Kilgore I&GN-Missouri Pacific Railroad Station (approx. 2.9 miles away); Removal (approx. 2.9 miles away); Drilling Completed, 1940 (approx. 2.9 miles away).
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Marker for the First Presbyterian Church mentioned in the text.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionEducationFraternal or Sororal Organizations
 
Gum Spring Presbyterian Church Markers image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2019
3. Gum Spring Presbyterian Church Markers
Gum Spring Presbyterian Church Marker at Danville Cemetery. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2019
4. Gum Spring Presbyterian Church Marker at Danville Cemetery.
Danville Cemetery entrance with marker just to right of pavilion. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2019
5. Danville Cemetery entrance with marker just to right of pavilion.
 

More. Search the internet for Gum Spring Presbyterian Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 4, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement