Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kilgore in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2019
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  Organized in 1850 as Gum Spring Presbyterian Church in the rural Danville community, this congregation moved to Kilgore in 1874 and later changed its name to First Presbyterian Church. Built as a result of the 1930s oil boom, this sanctuary replaced an earlier structure at the corner of South and Rusk streets, where oil wells surrounded church property. Reflecting the Gothic style of architecture, the building features a large stained glass window and a tri-partite Gothic-arched entry.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[Supplemental plaque]
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site No. 324
registered by the Presbyterian Historical Association
Philadelphia, PA
 
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9954.)
 
Location. 32° 22.85′ N, 94° 52.235′ W. Marker is in Kilgore, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is at the intersection of Lawrence Street and East Main Street, on the left when traveling north on Lawrence Street. Touch for map

Marker just to right of church entrance amongst the hedges. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2019
2. Marker just to right of church entrance amongst the hedges.
. Marker is at or near this postal address: 815 East Main Street, Kilgore TX 75662, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Alexander Institute (approx. 0.4 miles away); Kilgore National Bank Building (approx. half a mile away); During Drilling (approx. half a mile away); Removal (approx. half a mile away); Before 1937 Drilling Began (approx. half a mile away); Drilling Completed, 1940 (approx. half a mile away); World's Richest Acre (approx. half a mile away); The Kilgore I&GN-Missouri Pacific Railroad Station (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kilgore.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Marker for Gum Spring Presbyterian Church mentioned in text.
 
Categories. ArchitectureChurches & ReligionNatural Resources
 

More. Search the internet for First Presbyterian Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 4, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement