Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Longview in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Longview Train Depot

 
 
Longview Train Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 2, 2019
1. Longview Train Depot Marker
Inscription.  With railroad expansion headed west, O.H. Methvin deeded 150 acres to Southern Pacific Railroad in 1870. In 1871, Longview became the westward terminus of the railroad. Construction of a railroad line between Longview and Palestine began in 1872 by International Railroad (later called International & Great Northern Railroad). This line reached an area known as the junction just east of Longview.

Texas and Pacific (T&P) railway company acquired Southern Pacific Railroad and began construction on a passenger depot in 1939 located in the junction. The 1940 completed depot replaced an earlier station that was built in 1874. To access the concrete platform where travelers waited for the train, passengers utilized a tunnel that connected the depot to the platform.

Designed in the Colonial Revival Style, the train depot, also called the T&P/MO-PAC depot, includes stylized quoins, a brick cornice and grey stone trim used to highlight the coping, keystones and lintels. The one-and-a-half story building contained a ticket office, waiting rooms, restrooms, telegraph office, yard office, baggage/express office and mail room.

The original dormers were removed sometime after construction but were later restored. Two porches were part of the original structure for a waiting area, baggage and freight. As a town founded by the railroad, Longview has always been connected to railways and, at one time, boasted three depots. Now, the 1940 Longview Train Depot is the only remaining depot in Longview.

Recorded Texas Historic
The Longview Train Depot (Amtrak Station) and Marker (left of entrance). image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 2, 2019
2. The Longview Train Depot (Amtrak Station) and Marker (left of entrance).
Landmark
Marker is the property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17982.)
 
Location. 32° 29.645′ N, 94° 43.667′ W. Marker is in Longview, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is on East Pacific Avenue east of South Mobberly Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Located at the Longview Amtrak Station. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 905 East Pacific Avenue, Longview TX 75602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Longview Junction (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Fabulous Fifties (approx. half a mile away); Longview Expands Its Influence (approx. half a mile away); World War II & Its Aftermath (approx. half a mile away); The Oil Boom Brings Renewal (approx. half a mile away); Transportation: Model T's, Trains & Trolleys (approx. half a mile away); Longview Charters First Industry in Texas (approx. half a mile away); Completing a Century of Development (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Longview.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  Great American Stations - Longview Station (LVW). (Submitted on September 4, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. ArchitectureLandmarksRailroads & Streetcars
 

More. Search the internet for Longview Train Depot.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 4, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 4, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement