Railroads in Mineola
The City of Mineola incorporated in 1877 and its rail success continued as the Missouri, Kansas and Texas line extended to Greenville in 1881. This connected the growing trade center with major cities -- Dallas, Sherman, Shreveport and Houston -- in all directions. The railroads also brought new settlers to Mineola, and a new depot opened in 1905. The T&P moved its terminal here from Longview in 1929, bringing
The T&P dedicated a new passenger depot in 1951, but rail connections to Greenville and Lindale were later abandoned. Passenger service, suspended in Mineola's centennial year of 1973, returned in 1996.
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13936.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
Location. 32° 39.723′ N, 95° 29.333′ W. Marker is in Mineola, Texas, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of East Front Street and South Pacific Street (U.S. 69), on the left when traveling east on East Front Street. At the Mineola Train Depot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 East Front Street, Mineola TX 75773, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mineola (within shouting distance of this marker); Saloons in Mineola (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); C. W. Raines (about 300 feet away); Site of the Coleman Family Drug Store and Clinic
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 5, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 5, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.