Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mineola in Wood County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Mineola

 
 
First Baptist Church of Mineola Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
1. First Baptist Church of Mineola Marker
Inscription.  This site has been home to the First Baptist Church of Mineola since the congregation's first frame building was constructed here in 1877. The church's history dates to the early years of Mineola's development, after the town was founded in 1873 at the intersection of the Texas & Pacific and the International & Great Northern railroad lines. The Rev. T. L. Scruggs began holding nondenominational worship services in a log schoolhouse that year, and two years later, the First Baptist Church formally organized out of a group of those early worshipers.

The Rev. W. D. Powell led the formal organization of the Baptist church and served as first pastor. The frame sanctuary, built on this site in 1877, was known as Powell's Chapel. Plans for a new brick building began during the pastorate of the Rev. A. D. Aldridge, who served the congregation from 1881 until 1920. The new building was completed after the Rev. W. M. Dailey arrived as pastor in 1920.

To accommodate the congregation's expanded programs and ministries, an education building was added in 1950. Continued growth led to the construction of a new auditorium and education building,

First Baptist Church of Mineola (Marker is just to left of the left column). image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
2. First Baptist Church of Mineola (Marker is just to left of the left column).
dedicated in 1957.

For more than 100 years, the First Baptist Church has been a part of the religious and cultural heritage of Mineola. It continues to uphold the ideals and traditions of its founders as it provides significant service and leadership to the community.
 
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12633.)
 
Location. 32° 39.889′ N, 95° 29.323′ W. Marker is in Mineola, Texas, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of North Johnson Street and East Kilpatrick Street, on the right when traveling north on North Johnson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 204 North Johnson Street, Mineola TX 75773, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Barney B. Hart House (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr Pepper Bottling Plant (within shouting distance of this marker); The Thomas Breen Family (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Harry W. Meredith (about 300 feet away); Sarah Rosalie Patten Buchanan (about 400 feet away); First National Bank of Mineola (about 400 feet away); "The Old Mineola City Hall" (about 400 feet away); Mineola Opera Houses (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mineola.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion

 

More. Search the internet for First Baptist Church of Mineola.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement