Port Gibson in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Port Gibson City Hall
Built in 1838 by Presbyterians to house Port Gibson Academy
Methodists assumed ownership and the Academy was chartered as Port Gibson Collegiate Academy in 1854, becoming Port Gibson Female College in 1881. The school closed in 1928.
On December 21, 1933 deeds were filed in the courthouse transferring the building from trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church to trustees of the Irwin Russel Memorial Association and from this group to the Town of Port Gibson.
Erected 2004 by Governor Thomas Welles Chapter Colonial Dames XVII Century Chapter.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames XVII Century, National Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1838.
Location. 31° 57.357′ N, 90° 58.945′ W. Marker is in Port Gibson, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is on College Street near Chinquepin Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1005 College Street, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker Schillig Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Person Home (about 400 feet away); Drake Home (about 400 feet away); Presbyterian Manse (about 500 feet away); Hughes Home (about 500 feet away); Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); Judge Coleman Home (about 600 feet away); St. James Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Gibson.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 156 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2019.